April 21, 2010
Golden retriever stamp/USPS
Next time you’re looking for a pet rescue one from a shelter.
Many cats and dogs are available for adoption at your local animal shelter. These aren’t rejects, just animals looking for a forever home.
New stamps for April 30, 2010/USPS
Ellen DeGeneres is teaming with the United States Postal Service (USPS) to publize the need for homes for these animals. The USPS is issuing a set of stamps on April 30, 2010 to give this a high profile.
All the animals pictured are real rescued pets that have been given new homes. Ellen had Postmaster-General John Potter on her show recently to announce the program and the new stamps.
April 3, 2009
I know, I know another cat, but heck everyone else does it so why not me.
This is our present cat named Jackie. We acquired her a few months ago after the last one ran off and never came back. Jackie is an animal-shelter cat originally and is just over one year old.
Funny how all cats have their own unique personalities just like people. This one is primarily an indoor cat. She wants out, but only when birds or other cats are spotted through the window.
Favorite activities include,
- ripping and tearing cardboard of any kind, especially boxes.
- rendering toilet paper unusable.
- putting on nightly performances of “tearing around the house, upstairs and down at rapid speed”.
- disposing of any flowers entering the house.
- checking out all table and counter tops to ensure they are free of debris or food.
- following her staff everywhere around the house to make sure they are tending to her needs.
- greeting all cat haters or those allergic to her kind whenever they visit. I assume she is using this as therapy to remove their fears. This is not always appreciated, but afterall she is trying to help.
Her household staff consists of,
- Dad (me) who is the primary source of food, cleans the litter box, and provides protection from other staff.
- Cindy who usually doesn’t care for the feline order, but actually likes Jackie. She advises Dad when the food dish is empty or the litter needs cleaning. I would call her an advisor.
- Damian who is the nightly bedmate of Jackie. Provides nice blankets and a quilt for her nighttime comfort. Also acts as a play consultant.
- Claire and Olivia, the twins, provide “rubies” and play opportunities.
So you can see she has staff to minister to her every whim and want. What else could a cat desire? A mouse or a bird would be nice from time to time, from Jackie’s point of view anyway.