This is a message for those couples who put so much energy into raising their children that they forget about their own relationship.
As a divorced parent and married again parent I tell you this is dangerous and downright foolish. A happy marriage equals a happy family.
- Remember you and your husband were here first.
- Make your relationship a priority. Sure you love your kids, but they will be better off knowing you love each other.
- Look after your marriage as much as you look after your kids.
- Communicate, communicate. Tell each other everything – the good, the bad, and the ugly. Don’t let it fester.
- Kids feed off mom and dad’s love for each other. It’s healthy for them to see you kissing and hugging. It gives them a sense of security.
- Make time for each other. Sure this is hard at times, but so important.
- Make love not war. Sex is good for your relationship. It brings you closer and hey it’s that special thing only you have.
Always remember why you fell in love with your partner in the first place. Make an effort to keep the passion you had for your partner alive, sure it won’t be like the beginning, but be as passionate as you can about the relationship you have with each other. The rest will be easy.