They have a series of short little booklets called “Remember When” for every year. I picked the one for the year I was born 1949. Fascinating read.
Now while I certainly don’t remember much because I was just a little one, it is the era I came from so it was neat to find out about those times.
Here are some of the gems from my copy.
- First Polaroid camera available and sold for $89.95
- RCA perfects a system for broadcasting color TV
- Volkswagen Beetles introduced in the US
- President of the United States is Harry Truman
- Life expectancy in 62.9 years
- United States postage stamp to mail a letter was 3c
- Gasoline was 17c per gallon
- Movie ticket was 60c
- Average rent $70 per month
- New car was $1,420
- New House was $7,450
- Average income $2,959 per year
- Bread 14c a loaf
- Milk 84c a gallon
- Eggs 24c a dozen
I’ll leave it for you to decide it they were the good old days. I personally think not.