Sounds like a deep question, but to simplify just ask yourself this – what are the 5 things I value most in life?
There is no right answer to this exercise. It all depends on the individual and what is important to them and their well-being. With another birthday coming up, 59 years young this time, I thought I would have a look at where I am now in my life and here are my answers in order of importance:
1. Relationship with my wife. This is the root of all my happiness.
2. Love for my children. Darn they can be a challenge at times, but the love you get back its priceless.
3. Good friends. There is a country song by Tracy Lawrence and others now called, “Find Out Who Your Friends Are”. True friends stand by you through good and bad.
4. Health. Goes without saying, but you have to work at it.
5. Interests. Hobbies and activities that give you relaxation, stress relief, and maintain self-esteem. For me these include, philately, writing, reading, and golf.
“The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People”, Stephen R. Covey, Free Press, 1989, 2004